Sunday, 22 February 2015

Hospital Food

2015 hasn't started well for me although I'm pleased to report the family, friends and students are now recovering or have turned out not to be as ill as at first thought. I caught the flu and had to have a week off work. Then I got a nasty cold and terrible back aches and spent the next week in and out of A&E after work. It only took 3-4 hours to be in and out each time but it was quite draining. It culminated in me being admitted to hospital on Tuesday after yet another trip to the emergency room. I've now started treatment which hopefully will prove effective and they've let me back home. What a relief!

I couldn't have taken another minestrina and mash meal!

So bland. So very very bland.


A is doing is best to bring my appetite back with homecooked food and treats and so far it's working although the thought or smell of mash brings on nausea still.

To be fair, it's probably the drug's fault as it has been playing with my stomach. The mash was probably pretty edible. For the patients not on a restricted diet, there was a first and second course and fresh salad and fruit.

I might have been a little petrified when they told me I had to stay in, in case I needed an emergency operation that night, and it might have showed on my face because the A&E doctor came to find me three times during my stay to check up on me and the nurse spent a few minutes rubbing my arm until I managed to pull myself together.  But all the doctors and nurses were very nice and professional and clearly knew their stuff. 

I spent the first night and day on the maternity ward as they didn't have enough beds, which was... interesting. It's quite hard to rest with a woman going into labour next you! Then they moved me onto the proper ward and it got a little better. Nobody was asking me when I was going to give birth anymore! There was still no TV or anything in our 2 bed room (thank god I got a phone with internet for Christmas! - I was able to amuse myself on instagram) but breakfast, lunch and dinner were served communally which meant I got to have a little chat with my fellow patients and met another young woman with the same problem as me which was helpful psycologically.

Today I'm feeling a little better (I'm writing this!) and I'm really hoping I don't have to go back. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I hope this is reassuring to any other expats who were worried about Italian hospitals. I imagine that there could be quite a few regional differences around Italy, but the ward I stayed on here was extremely similar to the ward I stayed on in England. It might not have had a personal entertainment centre above the bed but it made up for it by giving a lot more privacy and quiet.

2 comments:

training said...

I hope you are feeling better by now :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm so sorry you have been unwell. X