Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Nonna's secret recipe

My back aches. My shoulders ache. All that mashing and rolling. Eh. Ridi, ridi, che ieri ho fatto gli gnocchi!


Hard at work making the gnocchi

Gnocchi al pomodoro


Nonna B's gnocchi recipe

1kg potatoes
1 egg
flour - quanto basta
secret ingredient  - quanto basta



I didn't actually make these with her secret ingredient. I used about 1.5kg of potatoes and 500g of flour in total, including that for sprinkling. Since quanto basta (enough) was not a totally foolproof quantity, I may try putting in less flour next time. Nonna B's are a slightly fluffier and lighter.

My friends came over (two of us could never have eaten all that gnocchi) and we feasted. My friend ate one raw (no thanks!) and said it tasted about right, so a success for a first attempt I think. He too wanted to learn how to make gnocchi as a boy, but his grandma would never teach him. Even his aunt who made gnocchi with his gran for over 20 years can't get them quite right without her. Grandmothers and their mysteious ways! 






Oh no, you didn't really think I'd be divulging secrets, did you? It took me three years to get the pickled zucchini recipe, I'm not about to go spilling the beans online. In another two years she might give me her seafood pasta sauce reicpe. ;)

1 comment:

Grace Brandon said...

Could this be an Italian rite of passage? I am impressed.